The first step in mold removal is of course, finding it. There are a lot of factors that contribute to mold growth including floods and improper flood cleanup, as well as plumbing and roof leaks. Though mold growth may be invisible or hidden from view (some even go undetected for months and even years), there are telling signs that their existence has manifested into the health of the people living in the area. Illnesses like allergies and flu-like symptoms that seem incurable and have questionable origins fit this category. With that said, detecting them is an utmost priority – which is why you should know which parts of homes are susceptible to it.
Roof and Attic
Mold removal will always involve taking the mold away from the upper portions of the house, namely the roof and the attic. This is common especially in leaky and defective roofs, especially if the shingles are made from light and materials like asphalt and low quality wood. Mostly mold can be found infesting the wooden support beams or the insulation. Mold growth could occur during spring, a time when winter ice starts to melt and during heavy rains and storms. These are usually undetected for long periods of time, mainly because these areas are rarely explored.
This part of the house is always the first and hardest hit by floods, which is why mold removal is always performed in this area. However, this only applies if the basement is being used for storage purposes and if it is rarely visited. In the aftermath of floods, mold will certainly be found on the walls, basement ceiling and on the stuff stored, unless proper flood cleanup is observed. Aside from floods, plumbing and other water-inducing factors can cause mold growth. This is further aggravated by the fact that there is little or no ventilation in the area, meaning, moisture can stay for long periods and cause widespread mold growth. Remember, the fungus only requires only a couple of days to thrive, fester and multiply.
You never know, you might somehow encounter mold removal in the kitchen someday. That said, the reason why the kitchen is vulnerable to mold growth is because it is always exposed to moisture. First off, the area beneath the kitchen sink may be the most vulnerable area, given that it is susceptible to leaks. This also includes the corners of the counters, as well as the wooden cupboards. One way to avoid this is to disinfect and completely dry the area after each use. Also remember to NOT store utensils and other kitchenware in cupboards if they have not been dried completely.
Though rampant mold infestations in the bathroom is farfetched, them existing in it is possible, especially in the corners and the hard to reach places. Basically, its interior walls are filled with plumbing, which could pave the way for leaks and trapped moisture.
Overall, mold removal is essential in these areas at the first sign of infestation is an absolute necessity, especially if you wish to avoid all of its negative health effects.